Saturday 25 May 2013

Freedom in Professional Life

There are three (3) approaches to freedom you can take in your professional life.

No more. No less. Three shalt be the number of approaches, and the number shall be three. Four shalt thou not it be, neither two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.
  1. Geek
  2. Sovereign
  3. Sage
This YouTube video explains what I mean.

Yes, I still need to work on the technical angles, but I hope you will enjoy the video anyway.

2 comments:

  1. I like what you're doing here! It's only through exploring in this way that we will discover routes to personal growth (or discover how much we've already grown).

    I'm still not 100% on what you mean by 'freedom' - one of those words you can discuss forever. I would challenge you when you say a 'geek' already has personal freedom. I would say the 'geek' can think he's free because what he wants aligns with what's permitted, but a small change in direction can reveal obstacles he's unaware of.

    Would be great to discuss these things further, do you organise 'meetups' about this?

    Huw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me "freedom" is "availability of choice". In a narrower sense it means "absence of coercion" since coercion is one way to take away choice.

      Yes, for a geek a change in the environment, or in himself / herself, may reduce his / her satisfaction. I suspect this is what happens to people who "burn out".

      At the moment I am not planning meet ups related to personal freedom, but I is an interesting idea. I suspect that there are already plenty of fantastic events like this, depending where you are based?

      Delete